Most of you have probably been to Tulsa before, so this won't be anything new or exciting. The Philbrook is the same as always, but the gardens are nice and big and new. A bit overhyped perhaps, but still pleasant. The collection of Whistler's art on tour there wasn't very interesting to either of us I think, but there were some great still life water-colours that we both enjoyed a lot.
Casa Bonia is dead! Long live Casa Something! I forget the name, but supposedly it's going to have an ownership and name change, and maybe improve the food a bit. Still, it was a bit of a downer to find the place closed and all. Instead we ate a Mexican resteraunt with the first gay Mexican waiter I've ever seen. Every cliche you can imagine, wrapped up in a lisping, limp-wristed, immaculately groomed, Mexican. Reminded me of a Scott Thomspon
skit from
Kids in the Hall.
So, if you ever have to choose between staying at the
Radisson in Tulsa or setting yourself on fire and passing out by the side of the road, think very carefully. The fire will hurt more, but it's cheaper and honestly promises about the same quality of sleep and comfort. The airport shuttle guy confirmed my suspicions that the Radisson had indeed been built in the 70's. He couldn't tell me whether it had been built as a college dorm or low security prison however. Strange smells, no elevators, several areas in obvious disreapair, etc. etc. The main lobby was pretty enough, but that was it. We were able to leave my car there for the week however, so that was good. And I might be less bitter if I hadn't had to book the room, again, due to an error on my part. But the place still sucks.
The Tulsa airport is small, but functional, and we got through easy enough, but that was on day two....