The Periphery of the Mind

Where I post whatever I feel like.

Monday, February 27, 2006

 

RANT! Writing About "Mr. A-"

Why is it, that in literature from the 19th Century, people are always refered to with incomplete names? As an actual example, from the King in Yellow, "behind him came that eloquent preacher and good man, Monseigneur C—." Why call someone "Monseigneur C—"? Why not just make up an alias or something?

Is the character too unimportant to merit a last name? Then why have the character at all. Is the author too pressed for time to create a suitable name? Then he hasn't really thought out the character, has he. Is the author trying to hide the identity of a real person? Then why do these stories invariably give away the year and location of where these real people are working and interacting with others.

Perhaps one of the marks of quality literature is an inability on the author's part to give characters a full proper name. It serves as an artistic expression by the author, pointing out how important it is that some fine details are to be considered unimportant. If the reader wants to know the identity of this trivial character, whom it is vitally important that the reader understands to be unimportant, then the reader has free reign to finish the author's work for him.

I believe I shall write about the Adventures of P- and W-, in the Land of F-, in the Year - and how they -. I figure if a good author leaves out names, I can be a great author and leave out all kinds of stuff. I shall call it, "The Story of -". Eventually I'll work my way up to "-", a novel! I think it'll go something like this "-".

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   February 2007   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   July 2010   August 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]