The Periphery of the Mind

Where I post whatever I feel like.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 

Returning the Gift of Prometheus....

The ancient Greeks told a story of Prometheus, the titan who looked upon the suffering of mankind and stole fire from the Gods to give man to ease such suffering. In return for his compassion, Prometheus was chained to a rock and had his liver plucked out by ravenous birds every day.

What does this have to do with anything?

Last Sunday, I decided I needed to return the gift of Prometheus. Last Sunday I nearly burned down our house.

I was trying to cook some arancini for dinner. While it was filled with unforseen problem after unforseen problem, I -finally- had something worth frying in oil. As I slowly lowered the arancini ball into the oil, the oil shot up and boiled over. And started covering the stove with fire.

Being the quick-witted fellow I am, I immediately started yelling "help, help" as I stood there wacthing the fire spread. After a second or two of that, Maryanne arrived and yelled "where's the fire extinguisher" snapping me out of my hypnotic state. While she looked for the extinguisher, I grabbed a bag of sugar and dumped it on the flame. I'm not sure if that helped or not, but it didn't put out the fire. I suspect it didn't help.

Maryanne couldn't find the downstairs extinguisher, so she ran upstairs to get the other one. You can never have too many fire extinguishers really. By this point I remembered where the kitchen one was, grabbed it, pulled the pin, and quickly sprayed myself in the face. -Then- I turned it on the stove, where the flames were about sixteen inches high and spreading.

I have yet to check, but I'm fairly certain I got a pair that was good against grease and oil fires. But I'm also fairly certain that the pair is six years old or so. Regardless, the fire didn't go out and seemed to actually spread. Just as Maryanne called her mom asking for help to put out a grease fire, I remembered we had sugar -and- flour. Unfortunately, the flour was in a cabinet. Over the stove. Currently on fire and rapidly filling the kitchen with dark smoke.

I reached into the cabinet, got the flour out, and realized that wouldn't be enough. I needed to turn off the burner before the fire would go out. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention this fire was on a back burner? Next to the stove top controls? Well it was. So I'm trying to figure out how to get my hand back there, without burning it, so I can turn off the burner, so I can dump flour on the flames and boiling oil.

I don't really remember much, I think I just buckled up and braved it. I think the smoke alarm in the hallway on the other side of the kitchen wall going off is what compelled me to do it. I reached in and turned off the burner with my right hand, jerked it back as fast as I could and started dumping flour with my left. By this point the upstairs smoke alarm was going off. But the fire was out. It was only two minutes or so, at the most. A few more seconds and the fire would have likely gotten to the cabinets or countertop.

Maryanne started opening windows and doors, finding the cats and putting them in the master bedroom with the door shut. I helped open windows, turn on fans, and search the house for cats. Squeaky was upstairs, shut in the weight room for some reason; if the fire -had- spread and we fled, he'd have died. Pee-Wee was hiding under the couch, and I'm not sure he'd have run for it either. Aslan was the only with the sense enough to go sit by the window. Maryanne and I coughed quite a bit as we opened the house, my nose full of black snot. The house open, the cats secured, and the fans running full blast, we shut the doors and went to Shanna's while the place aired out.

I stayed home the next day, working on computer projects for work and taking breaks to clean the kitchen. Black grease and smoke seemed to cover everything. We were really lucky. The damage was minimal really, and required more cleaning than anything else. The electrical cables under the stove were covered in burnt oil, but otherwise unharmed. The side of the cabinets, next to the hood and hidden from normal view, showed some small signs of paint blistering. The pot that started it all may be ruined, but I'm not certain yet. Really, it could have been a lot worse.

Maryanne took it all in stride, and didn't yell at me and didn't get in the way when I was trying to put out the fire. She kinda' feels bad for not pulling me out of the kitchen, but if she had we might not have a house. Decisions, decisions. I feel bad about it all. I shouldn't have used a small pot for deep frying with; I knew better. On the other hand, the oil shouldn't have boiled over like it did; so I didn't know better. I did learn a few important things though....



That's pretty much it I guess.

Comments:
...DJ, about that dinner invitation.....
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   February 2007   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   July 2010   August 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]