The Periphery of the Mind

Where I post whatever I feel like.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

 

Cooking - Pizza done easy

On the easy front, I offer you Digiorno's Ultimate Focaccia line of pizzas. I'll be blunt, I'm not a big fan of Digiorno's anymore. I find their pizzas to be somewhat bland. For a long time I was getting Frescheta's instead; comparable price but better flavor. But lately Frescheta has seemed fairly bland to me as well. I blame getting used to "exotic" restaurant pizzas actually. But I was in the mood for frozen pizza this week so I went ahead and tried a pepperoni Ultimate Focaccia and was actually pretty impressed. The crust had a very nice flavor to it, and the toppings were flavorful if just a bit sparse. Not great, but pretty good for store bought frozen pizza.

Two words of caution however: "hot" and "sodium". The pizza I had was liberally coated with crushed red pepper to the point that it almost overwhelmed the flavor of the rest. I suspect the toppings on this pizza are the same that Digiorno's uses for its regular pizzas, and the red pepper is there to help hide that. Secondly this thing is loaded in calories, but with it's lower fat and higher fiber it's actually healthier than a smaller (and more buttery) Tony's Pepperoni Pizza. Except for the sodium. This thing is loaded to the gills with salt. I don't remember tasting it, which is good, but if you're watching your salt intake you may be better passing this by.

And if you really like to control what you intake, but you're too lazy to make dough yourself, you might consider Pillsbury Pizza Dough. Having made pizza dough by hand (and killing a bread mixer in the process) I can't really sing the praises of this stuff enough. I may have mentioned it before with my stromboli recipie, but it deserves a second mention here. I recently tried a ground beef and black olive and sliced tomato pizza with an artichoke pesto sauce, and it wasn't bad. I think it's one of those dishes that if I charged $30 for, people would say was great, but if I charged $3 for, they'd say it was awful.

Not that I'm opening a eatery or anything.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   February 2007   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   July 2010   August 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]