The Periphery of the Mind

Where I post whatever I feel like.

Monday, June 02, 2008

 

Silver Dollar City

Saturday, the Professor and I went to Silver Dollar City. An interesting mixture of amusement park, tourist trap, and frontier recreations. It's like visiting Eureka Springs, only with much higher parking fees, free water rides, and seeing lots of period costumes and Christian groups instead of motorcyclists and homosexuals.

But first I had to get some new sandals. After hitting about... five different places, I finally settled on some Columbia Sun Trax. Spent about $25 more dollars than I wanted to, but these things are comfortable as heck, and should hold up pretty well. I did find it funny that the store we bought them at listed their prices as "$40. Our Price $60." Not sure what they were trying to convey exactly, but they sold them at the cheaper price.

Once we got to Silver Dollar City (and I recovered from the twisting, curving Ozark roads) the lines for the rides weren't bad, despite the park being fairly busy. Parking was a bit overwhelming however; the combined parking lots were about half as big as the town I grew up in.



Once inside I got to watch some woodworking, which was fun. Saw a live monkey that did nothing except keep his period costume on; it's sad when you can tell the monkey is bored. Honestly, the games and goods all seemed overpriced to me, even after you consider inflation. As an example, I looked at some pattern welded knives that were selling for hundreds of dollars. By comparison, I've seen pattern welded swords that sell for only slightly more. Concessions were overpriced as well, but that's always the case. Restaurants were a bit less expensive however; I had a giant fried pork sandwich and sprite and some calico potatoes for about $10.

The rides were pretty fun. "Fire in the Hole" was a mix between a "haunted house" style ride (goofy looking animatronic criminals menace guests) and a roller coaster. "The Lost River of the Ozarks" was a nifty little water raft ride. We went on a couple of other rides, saw some other attractions, and walked, and walked, and walked. The new Columbia sandals I bought really helped, but I still had blisters on my feet. Still, at the end of the day we upgraded our day passes to season passes. It's worth a repeat visit.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   February 2007   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   April 2010   July 2010   August 2010  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]